Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Boomerang Child.


It has been six months since my last session of class and I can hardly accept it; however, I cannot fully claim the life of a completely independent adult. Apparently Merriam-Webster has a definition for graduates like myself, we are known as the boomerang children: which is “young adults who returns to live at his or her family home especially for financial reasons.” 

That's me. The Boomerang girl. 

Yesterday, I was in Dallas visiting Car dealerships and Body Shops, presenting them with all kinds of smiles and free pens. Parking Mouse the Honda on golden bricks in a Mercedes dealership, wedged between shiny metal worth more than than my entire education seems rather comical. But none the less I marched up to the men in suits, sporting little earpieces you would see in the CIA and presented them with my glossy, 3x3 business card. 

I rewarded myself with a stop at a Cupcake Boutique in Uptown to visit my friend Emily to reminisce about the good ol' days. We laughed about how life had brought us both to places that went completely awry from the original plan, but still seemed rich in experience and the inevitable character building. 

Emily kept saying "I wish someone would have warned me about this stage of life." I thought about how I was lucky enough to have friends prepping me for the next twelve months and all of its woes...and yet I still feel unprepared. 

I parallel my experience to climbing Longs Peak: no matter how many videos I watched or advice I received on how to have a successful trip, it was the actual feet-on-trail experience that taught me how to climb a mountain. Being apart of the "Boomerang" club is not ideal, but I sure am learning to climb. 


And just because...

1 comment: