Monday, November 7, 2011

The face of God.

I am no theologian. I argue a lot, and I ask a lot of questions, but that does not assure I have any solid truth to offer.

Something I have been challenged with lately is the statement "to know God." In high school, I spit this phrase all over the place, working it into evangelizing conversations I would have with friends. I said it so much that I actually believed I knew the creator of mankind, earth and sky on a personal intimate level. "I know God as my personal Lord and Savior" is so frequently used that is has begun to sound like a recorded greeting.

"Hello, thank you for calling Apple Glass, this is Krisi, how can I help you?" (Sing-song voice)

"Hello, I know God as my personal Lord and Savior, this is Krisi, how can I save you?"

Do I really know God, have I seen his face? When I become desperate and bitter, I am reminded of Jesus' words in Matthew 25:
   I was hungry and you fed me, 
   I was thirsty and you gave me a drink, 
   I was homeless and you gave me a room, 
   I was shivering and you gave me clothes, 
   I was sick and you stopped to visit, 
   I was in prison and you came to me.
Then the King will say, 'I'm telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me—you did it to me.'


Studying the scriptures might tell me how to know, breathe and taste God,
but to see Him, to taste Him, to breathe Him, to know Him I must cast aside my selfishness and comfort...

I want to see the face of God? I need to reach out and cup the face of the thirsty, the hungry, the homeless, the naked, the lonely, the imprisoned.

No comments:

Post a Comment